off-label Drug Use in Pediatrics
Week 11: Pediatrics
Children, like adults, deal with variety of health issues, but they also have issues that are more prevalent within their population. One issue that significantly impacts children is the prescription of drugs for off-label use. As an advanced practice nurse, how do you determine the appropriate use of off-label drugs in pediatrics? Are there certain drugs that should be avoided with pediatric patients?
This week, you examine the practice of prescribing off-label drugs to children. You also explore strategies for making off-label drug use safer for children from infancy to adolescence, as it is essential that you are prepared to make drug-related decisions for pediatric patients in clinical settings.
- Evaluate the practice of prescribing off-label drugs to children
- Analyze strategies to make the off-label use of drugs safer for children
- Identify key terms, concepts, and principles related to prescribing drugs to treat patient disorders
Required Readings (click to expand/reduce)
Required Media (click to expand/reduce)
Assignment: Off-Label Drug Use in Pediatrics
Children even respond differently during stages from infancy to adolescence. This poses potential safety concerns when prescribing drugs to pediatric patients. As an advanced practice nurse, you have to be aware of safety implications of the off-label use of drugs with this patient group.
- Review the interactive media piece in this weekâ€™s Resources and reflect on the types of drugs used to treat pediatric patients with mood disorders.
- Reflect on situations in which children should be prescribed drugs for off-label use.
- Think about strategies to make the off-label use and dosage of drugs safer for children from infancy to adolescence. Consider specific off-label drugs that you think require extra care and attention when used in pediatrics.
By Day 5 of Week 11
Write a 1-page narrative in APA format that addresses the following:
- Explain the circumstances under which children should be prescribed drugs for off-label use. Be specific and provide examples.
- Describe strategies to make the off-label use and dosage of drugs safer for children from infancy to adolescence. Include descriptions and names of off-label drugs that require extra care and attention when used in pediatrics.
Reminder: The College of Nursing requires that all papers submitted include a title page, introduction, summary, and references. The Sample Paper provided at the Walden Writing Center offers an example of those required elements (available at http://writingcenter.waldenu.edu/57.htm). All papers submitted must use this formatting.
Submission and Grading Information
To submit your completed Assignment for review and grading, do the following:
- Please save your Assignment using the naming convention â€œWK11Assgn+last name+first initial.(extension)â€ as the name.
- Click the Week 11 Assignment Rubric to review the Grading Criteria for the Assignment.
- Click the Week 11 Assignment link. You will also be able to â€œView Rubricâ€ for grading criteria from this area.
- Next, from the Attach File area, click on the Browse My Computer button. Find the document you saved as â€œWK11Assgn+last name+first initial.(extension)â€ and click Open.
- If applicable: From the Plagiarism Tools area, click the checkbox for I agree to submit my paper(s) to the Global Reference Database.
- Click on the Submit button to complete your submission.
To access your rubric:
Week 11 Assignment Rubric
Check Your Assignment Draft for Authenticity
To check your Assignment draft for authenticity:
Submit your Week 11 Assignment draft and review the originality report.
Submit Your Assignment by Day 5 of Week 11
To participate in this Assignment:
Week 11 Assignment