Abuse and Neglect: Orientation Project
You have been tasked with orienting new registered nurses in the emergency department in your hospital on how to manage child abuse and neglect cases. The orientation should cover child abuse and neglect definitions, prevention, detection, intervention and treatment, reporting, and interdisciplinary resources.
Create an orientation that covers the definition, prevention, detection, intervention and treatment, reporting, and interdisciplinary resources, and ensure you:
Define abuse, using:
- The federal definition of child abuse and neglect
- Your state’s definition of child abuse and neglect
Discuss prevention, and analyze the nurse’s role in each level of prevention:
List the risk factors of abuse, including environmental indicators and disparities in care.
Explain detection, and illustrate the signs and symptoms of child abuse and neglect:
Address intervention ,and reporting as stated in your state’s requirements related to child abuse and neglect:
- Who can report?
- Who is mandated (legally required) to report?
- Where (to whom) is information reported?
Â· Provide examples of treatment resources available in your area for children affected by abuse and their caregivers.
- Find collaborative resources for abuse and neglect intervention and treatment.
Identify resources for appropriate referral:
- List interdisciplinary support services for children affected by abuse.
Summarize the differences between prevention, detection, intervention, treatment, and reporting in child abuse and neglect and spousal or elder abuse and/or violence. Answer the following questions in your summary:
- Are the reporting requirements the same?
- Are all types of abuse and neglect defined the same way?
- How does treatment differ?
- What different resources are available for varying types of abuse?
- How do signs and symptoms change with age?
- How does the role of the community nurse change at each level of prevention depending on the type of abuse?
Format your assignment as one of the following:
- 700- to 1,050-word paper
Cite at least 1 peer-reviewed reference and 1 evidence-based reference.
Include APA-formatted citations and a reference page.