The purpose of this assignment is to:
test the student’s knowledge of the core concepts, models and frameworks taught in the module and relevant to the strategy process
allow the student to apply their learning in the module to date in a case study analysis and to present their findings in a high level report format
- In what ways has Jeff Immelt redirected the strategy of GE? (25%)
- To what extent is the strategy aligned with
- The requirements of the 21st century business environment?
- GE’s resources & capabilities? (30%)
- What organisational changes has the new strategy necessitated? Will GE be able to successfully execute the new strategy? (20%)
- What alternative strategies should GE consider? (25%)
Target word count 3,000 + or – 10% (excluding appendices)
The case will be made available on NILE
The percentages above indicate the weighting given to each section
To submit your work, please go to the ‘Submit your work’ area of the Module NILE site. It is important that you submit your work to the correct module NILE site, and that your work is submitted on time.
You will be expected to read the case several times to make sure you understand the context, grasp the detail and then review the key elements using the core strategy models to go through the strategy process, drawing on evidence from the case to support and justify your views.
You should carry out further research on GE, however you must only use material drawn from credible sources such as: academic articles and texts; quality newspaper and business periodicals, e.g., the FT, The Economist and the official GE website. You should not use unreliable sources such as non-reviewed websites, e.g., Wikipedia.
This is an individual assignment. The University of Northampton policy will apply in all cases of copying, plagiarism or any other methods by which students have obtained (or attempted to obtain) an unfair advantage.
Support and guidance on assessments and academic integrity can be found from the following resources
- SkillsHub: http://skillshub.northampton.ac.uk
- CfAP: http://skillshub.northampton.ac.uk/centre-for-achievement-and-performance-cfap/
The learning outcomes being addressed through this assignment are: