I need support with this Business question so I can learn better.
Read the Case “Intel and Conflict Minerals” at the end of Chapter 4 and response to the following:
- How do conflict minerals, and in particular, conflict coltan get their name? What groups benefited from the trade in conflict minerals? What groups were hurt by it?
- Consider the three sectors discussed in this chapter (business, government, and civil society). What were the interests of each, with respect to conflict coltan, and in what ways did their interests converge?
- Why was Intel unable to eliminate conflict minerals from its supply chain unilaterally, that is, without the help of others?
- In what ways did Intel collaborate with other sectors (governments and civil society) in its efforts to eliminate conflict minerals from its products? What strengths and weaknesses did each sector bring to the task?
- What further steps could be taken by governments, NGOs, and companies to strengthen the process to exclude conflict minerals from the global supply chain?