Help me study for my English class. I’m stuck and don’t understand.
WHAT: Write a 2-page memorandum (memo) addressed to your course instructor as its intended audience. The goal of your memo is to persuade your instructor to approve your strategies for constructing your Recommendation Report, where you will identify a problem within a specific company or organization and persuade a specific audience to take action.
You must use the Rhetorical Structure outlined in the HOW section below.
NOTE: Rather than draft a shorter version of your Recommendation Report, describe what you intend to do to create your Recommendation Report as written below.
HOW: BRAINSTORM: Here are some suggestions from Contemporary Business Communications (Houghton Mifflin, 2009) to prompt your thinking about possible topics for the Recommendation Report as you develop this memo assignment (the term “ABC company” is a generic name and cannot be used for the assignment):
- comparison of home pages on the Internet for ABC industry
- dress policy for the ABC company
- buying versus leasing computers at ABC company or university
- developing a diversity training program at ABC company
- encouraging the use of mass transit at ABC company or university
- establishing a recycling policy at ABC company
- evaluating a charity for corporate giving at ABC company
- recommending a site for the annual convention of ABC association
- starting an employee newsletter at ABC company
- starting an onsite wellness program at ABC company or university
- best online source for office supplies at ABC company
- best shipping service (e.g. UPS, USPS, FedEx)
- most appropriate laptop computer for ABC company managers who travel
RHETORICAL STRUCTURE: Use the subheadings in bold below in your memo.
- Description: What problem or challenge will you address in your Recommendation Report? Provide an overview in two or three sentences, explaining why the memo has been written. Why is the problem/challenge important to address?
- Objective: What should your audience know and do/change as a result of your Recommendation Report?
- Information: What evidence will you will need to gather to support your recommendations in the Recommendation Report? Where do you think you will find this information? How will this information help you persuade your reader of your recommendation? (Do not conduct any research for this memo assignment, just describe your research plans.)
- Audience: Who is the audience for your Recommendation Report (e.g.: your boss, a community organization, etc.) Why might your audience oppose your recommendation? If your audience implements your recommendation, what demands, pressures, and expectations (financial, social, political, personal, etc.) might your audience encounter as a result of your recommendation?
- Conclusion: What are the next step(s) in the development of your Recommendation Report? When will you complete the next step(s)? This section will probably be a single paragraph in length.