I’m studying for my Writing class and need an explanation.
This exercise asks you to analyze a visual to develop your ability to think critically about the visuals you’re designing for your project.
Find a data visualization to analyze that you find interesting or unusual. The visual can be one you think is good or one you think has problems. Once you’ve found one you’d like to work with, analyze the visual by answering the following questions:
- What type of visual is it?
- Is the visual appropriateness of the type for the data? Why do you think so?
- What is the purpose of the visual and who is the audience? How do you know, and what specific elements of the visual led you to your conclusion?
- Is the color use effective? Distracting? Does the color use make the visual more or less effective? Why?
- Does the design of the visual contribute to or detract from the clarity and accuracy of the visual? What specific elements support your conclusion?