Nurse-scholars have a significant obligation to their community as well. Their work must have academic and professional integrity. Their efforts are designed to add to the body of knowledge, advance the profession, and ultimately help in the care of patients. Work that lacks integrity is subject to erode quickly or worse.
Fortunately, there are strategies and tools that can help ensure integrity in academic and professional work. This Assignment asks you to consider these tools and how you might apply them to your own work.
In this Assignment you will continue developing your Academic Success and Professional Development Plan by appending the original document you began in the previous assignment.
- Reflect on the strategies presented in the Resources for this Module in support of academic style, integrity, and scholarly ethics.
- Reflect on the connection between academic and professional integrity.
Part 3, Section 1: Writing Sample: The Connection Between Academic and Professional Integrity
Using the Academic and Professional Success Development Template you began in Module 1 and expanded in Module 2, write a 2- to 3-paragraph analysis that includes the following:
- Explanation for the relationship between academic integrity and writing
- Explanation for the relationship between professional practices and scholarly ethics
- Cite at least two resources that support your arguments, being sure to use proper APA formatting.
- Use Grammarly and SafeAssign to improve the product.
- Explain how Grammarly, Safe Assign, and paraphrasing contributes to academic integrity.
Part 3, Section 2: Strategies for Maintaining Integrity of Work
Expand on your thoughts from Section 1 by:
- identifying and describing strategies you intend to pursue to maintain integrity and ethics of your: (1) academic work as a student of the MSN program and (2) professional work as a nurse throughout your career. Include a review of resources and approaches you propose to use as a student and a professional
American Nurses Association. (2015). Code of ethics for nurses with interpretive statements. Retrieved from https://www.nursingworld.org/coe-view-only
American Psychological Association. (2010). Publication manual of the American Psychological Association (6th ed.). Washington, DC: Author.
- Chapter 1, â€œWriting for the Behavioral and Social Sciencesâ€
- Chapter 4, â€œThe Mechanics of Styleâ€
- Chapter 6, â€œCrediting Sourcesâ€
- Chapter 7, â€œReference Examplesâ€
Boykins, A., & Gilmore, M. (2012). Ethical decision making in online graduate nursing education and implications for professional practice. Online Journal of Health Ethics, 8(1), 1-18. Retrieved from https://doi.org/10.18785/ojhe.0801.04
Glasper, A. (2016). Does cheating by students undermine the integrity of the nursing profession? British Journal of Nursing, 25(16), 932â€“933. doi:10.12968/bjon.2016.25.16.932
Note: You will access this article from the Walden Library databases.
National League for Nursing. (2012). Ethical principles for nursing education. Nursing Education Perspectives, 33(1), 65. Retrieved November 14, 2018, from http://www.nln.org/docs/default-source/default-document-library/ethical-principles-for-nursing-education-final-final-010312.pdf
Walden University Academic Skills Center. (n.d.). ASC success strategies: Plagiarism. Retrieved November 14, 2018, from https://academicguides.waldenu.edu/ASCsuccess/ASCplagiarism
Walden University Writing Center. (n.d.). APA style: Overview. Retrieved November 14, 2018, from https://academicguides.waldenu.edu/writingcenter/apa
Walden University Writing Center. (n.d.) Grammarly: Overview. Retrieved November 14, 2018, from https://academicguides.waldenu.edu/writingcenter/grammarly
Document: APA Basics Checklist: Citations, Reference List, and Style (PDF)
Document: Academic Success and Professional Development Plan Template (Word document)
Document: Citing a Discussion Posting in APA Style (PDF)
Document: Citing a Laureate Video in APA Style (PDF)
Document: Common APA Style and Formatting Challenges (PDF)
Document: Introduction to Scholarly Writing: Plagiarism and Academic Integrity (PDF)
APA 7 is used