I don’t know how to handle this Sociology question and need guidance.
For this discussion, read this article When Lobbyists Literally Write the Bill (Links to an external site.) and review the Center for Responsive Politics list (Links to an external site.) of top spenders on lobbying in 2015. Next, address the following:
- Explain in greater detail what lobbying is and how it impacts the policy process from problem identification to agenda setting to policy implementation.
- Critics argue that lobbyists have undue influence on the political process in the United States. Explain their reasoning behind this concern.
- Do you think lobbying is a fair process and should be a part of the American political process?
- Select one of the organizations or corporations from the Center for Responsive Politics list of top spenders on lobbying in 2015. Why would this organization/corporation employ a lobbyist? What is the benefit to the organization/corporation? Do you think this process is controversial? Why or why not?
1. Chang, A. (2013, November 11). “When Lobbyists Literally Write the Bill (Links to an external site.).” National Public Radio. Retrieved from: http://www.npr.org/sections/itsallpolitics/2013/11…
(This article discusses the influence lobbyists have on the legislative process, to the point that they often write the actual legislation themselves. Read this article to successfully complete this week’s discussion, “Lobbying.”)
1. Center for Responsive Politics. (2015). “Lobbying: Top Spenders (Links to an external site.).” Retrieved from: https://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/top.php?showYear…
(This website reports the amount of money spent on lobbying by major organizations and corporations. Review this website to successfully complete this week’s discussion, “Lobbying.”)
Your initial post should be at least 300 words in length. Support your points with scholarly references, appropriate citations, and full references at the conclusion of your post. Cite your sources in APA format.