Steps on how to write an introduction for argumentative essay
What Is an Argumentative Essay?
An argumentative essay is a type of essay that involves presenting both sides of an issue. You can either present both sides equally or choose to present one side more persuasively than the other. When writing an argumentative essay, the writer’s objective is to convince you to support their point of view on a particular topic.
To write an outstanding essay, you have to know what has already been said on your topic of choice. The only way to do this is through research. Therefore the writer’s views, arguments, and ideas are not only based on reasoning but also primarily on their existing evidence—these essays are very common in high school, college and university.
Sometimes, you will be given a topic to argue about, and other times you will choose the topic for yourself. Despite this, the underlying commonality is that you will decide your argument.
Argumentative essay structure; Steps on how to write an argumentative essay (How to write an introduction for an argumentative essay)
How to write an introduction for an argumentative essay
This first paragraph of your essay should include the topic outline, relevant background information central to your argument, and the presented evidence. This will be the hook for your argumentative essay.
At the end of your first paragraph, quote your thesis statement. It is a specific, clear, and short statement that asserts the main argument in the essay. Your entire essay is based on explaining and justifying this statement.
- How to write a thesis for an argumentative essay
With a thesis statement being one of the most critical parts of your essay, we will guide you on how to write one.
- Turn the topic into a question – by transforming your topic into a question, you will be able to come up with answers which you can then develop into your thesis statement.
- Highlight an argument and then refute it – introduce an idea that contrasts with your belief and then disprove it. This helps with the credibility of your statement because it used evidence.
- Outline your main points – briefly present your main points and how you will support them. This helps give the readers a clear picture of what your essay entails, and it also keeps you organized.
- Body– How to write an introduction for an argumentative essay
This is the central part of the essay. Usually comprised of three or more paragraphs, the body details the specific reasons why you support your claim, why readers should support or agree with your position, and evidence. The body is where you support your claims with examples, studies, research, statistics, and citations. Looking at the topic from different angles proves and disproves it in this section of the essay.
- How to write a conclusion for an argumentative essay
In a paragraph, reinterpret your thesis statement to the readers based on your presented evidence and summarize some of the relevant arguments you have made. DO NOT introduce any new information in this section. You can appeal to the reader’s emotions by stating a personal anecdote or how your argument affects them directly.
Basic components of an argumentative essay (how to write an introduction for an argumentative essay)
The basic components of an argumentative essay include:
- Claim: A claim refers to the main argument of your essay. Claims should make a stand, shed light on your argument’s pertinence, be debatable, be specific, and convey your main idea. There are five types of claims:
- Fact: Whether something is true or not.
- Definition: The standard definition of your argument and your own interpretation.
- Value: The significance of your argument.
- Cause and effect: What causes your argument and the subsequent effects?
- Policy: Why the readers should be concerned with your essay’s arguments.
- Supporting points: These comprise the reasons why your readers should accept your argument claims.
- Evidence: These are the materials you are basing your supporting points on.
Types of arguments
There are three types of arguments that you can use to shape your essay. You can use one or a combination to form a remarkable argumentative essay.
- Classical/ Aristotelian: Here, you present your main argument, state what your opinion is, and convince the reader why yours is the right outlook. It is useful when the audience does not possess an opinion or enough information on a topic.
- Rogerian: You present a problem, acknowledge that other points of view exist, state your stance, and explain why yours is the most favourable to the readers. This type is usually the best for divisive topics.
- Toulmin: You present your claim, the reasons to support that claim, and then rationalize the reasons for that claim. Also useful for divisive topics.
If you are to choose a topic for yourself, you must consider these two things. Interest – are you interested in this topic? Selecting a topic that you are curious and excited about makes the entire writing process more comfortable and more enjoyable. Evidence – you may have a topic that you are interested in, but there is no sufficient evidence to back your arguments. Evidence means information found in books, journals, websites, magazines, encyclopedias, etc. Your personal opinion does not count as evidence
Get Help with argumentative essay writing from thestudycorp.com
Students from the UK, USA, Canada, and Australia have entrusted us with their essays over the years, and we have delivered without fail. This is what has made us the go-to essay writing service for thousands of students. There are numerous advantages of getting us to write your essay. Let us highlight them for you:
- Expertise: in our team, we have three types of experts: researchers, writers, and proofreaders. Researchers conduct thorough, in-depth, and extensive research for your essay. Using up-to-date and relevant sources, they will find all the useful material for your essay. Our professional paper writers hold advanced degrees in top universities all over the world. They are all native English speakers, and they will write you a customized essay in record time. Proofreaders are there to edit and check for any errors in your work.
- Originality: An advantage of buying essays from us is that you will get original papers. All essays are written from scratch and are not resold to anyone. After your order is complete and you are satisfied with it, we delete it from our database.
- We are affordable: All our customers are students, and this is reflected in the manner that we price our paper writing services. Our prices are both affordable and reasonable without compromising in quality.
- Prompt delivery: Your deadline is our number one priority. Even if your essay is due in six hours, you can trust us to deliver on time without compromising quality. When you place an order, our research paper writers immediately begin working on your essay.
- Customer support: You can reach us any time, any day. We have a customer support department whose goal is to take care of any questions and concerns that you may have.
- Revision policy: On the off chance that you are not satisfied with your essay, we will revise it free of charge an unlimited number of times. Our topmost priority is customer satisfaction.
- Antiplagiarism policy: All our papers are properly referenced, cited, and thoroughly checked for plagiarized materials. We have an up to date antiplagiarism engine and quality control department to enforce this.