What are the essential components that should be considered when applying qualitative methods to counseling outcomes?
Select and read one of the following articles, located in the Topic 4 materials:
- The Role of Faculty Mentors in the Research Training of Counseling Psychology Doctoral Students
- The Career Development of Mexican American Adolescent Women: A Test of Social Cognitive Career Theory
Write a 500-750-word analysis of your selected article. Include the following in your analysis:
- What are the key differences between qualitative and quantitative research?
- What are the strengths and weaknesses of qualitative research designs?
- What are the essential components that should be considered when applying qualitative methods to counseling outcomes?
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to Turnitin. Refer to the directions in the Student Success Center.
Prior to engaging in this discussion, please read chapters five and six in your e-book and review the Instructor Guidance. You will discuss the theory of constructivism and its relationship to learning.
- Constructivists suggest that a person’s reality is unique from others and thus, effects what, how, and how effective knowledge is acquired. This is suggested to be affected by numerous variables such as culture, past experiences, and past knowledge.
Consider the following as you discuss:
- What does logical positivism suggest to us about constructivist-based theories? Do you agree or disagree?
- How do exogenous constructivism, endogenous constructivism, and dialectical constructivism differ and why does it matter?
- How does situated cognition (discussed in Week 3) support the suggestions made by constructivism?
- Discuss a personal experience where you feel constructivism ideologies explained either the effectiveness of, or the non-effectiveness of, the learning experience. Would you consider this learning experience exploratory learning, inquiry learning, or problem-based learning? Why?
- What implications in learning effectiveness might exist if construction of individualized knowledge is negated?