Serving Vulnerable Populations
Imagine you are a community health nurse assigned to care for a family with a newly diagnosed type-2 diabetic member. The diabetic family member, JK, is a 66-year-old African American woman with hypertension and asthma. JK lives in a food desert and does not drive. JK’s family visits her weekly, but they have complicated lives and are unable to provide daily care for her.
Evaluate the following community health resources for JKâ€™s situation:
- United States Department of Agriculture
- Food Access Research Atlas Overview
- Food Access Research Atlas Map
- A Look Inside Food Deserts
- Small Food Stores and Availability of Nutritious Foods
- State Health Statistics
- American Nutrition Association
- USDA Defines Food Deserts
Create a plan detailing opportunities for JK to gain adequate access to appropriate foods for 1 week. Your plan must:
- Create an appropriate and realistic estimated budget.
- Identify shopping locations.
- Map out transportation means, routes, and timing.
- Define and explain support services.
Compare JK’s community with your county census data.
Format your assignment as one of the following:
- 3- to 5-slide presentation (NOTE: title slide and reference slide do not count)