This article covers is can list of over 130 Best Persuasive Essay Topics.
A Persuasive Essay is a piece of academic writing that convinces readers to accept the author’s position and agree with their ideas. Through clear arguments and examples, the writer demonstrates the legitimacy of their point of view.
According to the definition, a persuasive essay is a type of academic paper that implies using valid facts, clear logic, and reasoning to convince readers of the validity of an author’s viewpoint.
Components of a Persuasive Essay
Here we have compelled an extensive list of good persuasive essay topics divided into popular categories to help you get started with your paper.
A persuasive essay should be well-organized and follow a clear and logical structure. As a rule, the length of this essay is between 5-6 paragraphs. What are the components of a persuasive essay?
This type of work follows the standard essay structure – that is, a catchy intro; the main body which includes the main ideas, with arguments to support them; and a logical conclusion.
Now, let’s look at each of the three components closer:
- Introduction: An introduction is the opening paragraph of an essay. It is the first thing that gets presented to readers’ eyes, which is why it has to be clear and attention-grabbing.
To drive readers’ attention, an introduction should contain a hook – an intriguing fact, statement, or argument. Also, an introductory paragraph has to contain a strong thesis statement that reflects the main idea that you will be examining in the next part.
- Body: An essay’s main body is its heart. As a rule, it consists of 3-4 paragraphs. Each paragraph reflects a specific point and provides supporting evidence for it.
- Conclusion: The closing part of your essay is used, to sum up, the key ideas discussed in its main body and connects them to the thesis statement in the introduction. In persuasive writing, the conclusion is used to strengthen the persuasive effect of the whole piece.
How to Write a Persuasive Essay?
Here is some key persuasive writing prompts to keep in mind while working on such tasks:
- Choose an engaging topic. Choosing a relevant, manageable, and interesting topic can be hard, but it is one of the most vital steps in making your essay successful or unsuccessful (if it is not engaging).
- Take a clear position on a given topic. Writing a persuasive essay requires choosing a specific side you are going to advocate for in your paper.
- Know your audience. Since the main purpose of this form of writing is to persuade readers, it is vital to know the audience you are writing for and understand their perspective—to create an effective paper.
- Do thorough research to identify the arguments you can use in your essay. Then, prioritize arguments according to their validity and value.
- Use the most convincing and logical evidence.
- Make it engaging. Use a catchy hook in the introduction to grab your readers’ attention, and try your best to keep them interested throughout the whole piece.
- Keep it clear and straight to the point.
How to Choose a Good Persuasive Essay Topic?
Follow the below-given steps to choose good persuasive essay topics.
1. Consider Your Interest
The first step of your exceptional persuasive writing is to choose a topic of your interest.
You can talk about the issue more convincingly if you are personally concerned about it. Similarly, your research and writing skills will be better because you are more informed on the topic.
It is because the primary purpose of this academic paper is to convince the readers about your opinion using evidence.
Thus, there is no point in persuading the audience about a matter you are not sure of convinced.
2. Narrow It Down
Choosing broad topic ideas for persuasive essays can cause confusion as you will have to struggle a lot to find the information.
Therefore, narrowing down your focus on a single aspect will make your persuasive speeches easy to handle.
3. Talk about Controversy
There are always a few people who have a different opinion regarding some controversy. It does not mean that you have to talk opposite to the general trend.
You can just share your opinion, ensuring that it is logical and makes sense.
4. Pick the Stance You Agree With
Make sure you choose persuasive argument topics with two potential sides. Because writing a persuasive essay aims to persuade the readers regarding some specific stance.
For this, you need to be careful while picking the stance for your essay. If you select the side you don’t agree with; you will not be able to convince your audience about it.
5. Find Strong Evidence and Examples
Conduct in-depth research to find strong evidence and examples to back up your side. Use both primary and secondary sources to collect different points of view, facts, and statistics. It will make your study more compelling and impressive.
6. Avoid Common Pitfalls
When coming up with a topic, many students think about whether their professors will like it or not. Overthinking these aspects doesn’t help you choose the essay topic wisely.
You can also checkout Best Current Event Essay Topics & Current Event Essay Example
What Makes a Good Persuasive Essay Topic?
Theoretically, you could write a persuasive essay about any subject under the sun, but that doesn’t necessarily mean you should.
Certain topics are easier to write a strongly persuasive essay on, and below are tips to follow when deciding what you should write about.
It’s a Topic You Care About
Obviously, it’s possible to write an essay about a topic you find completely boring. You’ve probably done it!
However, if possible, it’s always better to choose a topic that you care about and are interested in.
When this is the case, you’ll find doing the research more enjoyable, writing the essay easier, and your writing will likely be better because you’ll be more passionate about and informed on the topic.
You Have Enough Evidence to Support Your Argument
Just being passionate about a subject isn’t enough to make it a good persuasive essay topic, though.
You need to make sure your argument is complex enough to have at least two potential sides to root for, and you need to be able to back up your side with evidence and examples.
Even though persuasive essays allow your opinion to feature more than many other essays, you still need concrete evidence to back up your claims, or you’ll end up with a weak essay.
For example, you may passionately believe that mint chocolate chip ice cream is the best ice cream flavor (I agree!), but could you really write an entire essay on this? What would be your reasons for believing mint chocolate chip is the best (besides the fact that it’s delicious)?
How would you support your belief? Have enough studies been done on preferred ice cream flavors to support an entire essay?
When choosing a persuasive essay idea, you want to find the right balance between something you care about (so you can write well on it) and something the rest of the world cares about (so you can reference evidence to strengthen your position).
It’s a Manageable Topic
Bigger isn’t always better, especially with essay topics. While it may seem like a great idea to choose a huge, complex topic to write about, you’ll likely struggle to sift through all the information and different sides of the issue and winnow them down to one streamlined essay.
For example, choosing to write an essay about how WWII impacted American life more than WWI wouldn’t be a great idea because you’d need to analyze all the impacts of both the wars in numerous areas of American life.
It’d be a huge undertaking. A better idea would be to choose one impact on American life the wars had (such as changes in female employment) and focus on that. Doing so will make researching and writing your persuasive essay much more feasible.
You can also checkout Argumentative Essay Topics about Social Media
Persuasive Essay Topics
Persuasive Essay Topics for University Students
- Why are lawyers paid too much? Give reasons.
- Who is responsible for stray dogs?
- Why is censorship of the internet necessary?
- Is technology a distraction or a bonus?
- Privacy Vs. Security. Which one do you prefer?
- Discuss the positive aspects of rivalry.
- Online education vs. traditional schooling. Which one is better?
- Are vaccinations linked to autism?
- Is it important to change and revise the state’s welfare system?
- Why must there be some limits to freedom of speech?
Persuasive Essay Topics for College
- Why should colleges ban the use of mobile phones on campus premises?
- Immigration challenges can easily be solved by fencing the borders. How?
- Why must sociopaths and psychopaths be sentenced to death?
- Why should parents keep a check on children’s internet activities?
- How does feminism devalue motherhood?
- Kids’ cartoons must be scrutinized for inappropriate content. Discuss.
- Discuss why traditional classes are better than distant learning?
- How banning weapons production can reduce terrorist activities across the globe?
- Discuss why female students should take part in wrestling and boxing?
- What is the best age for driving a car?
Easy Persuasive Essay Topics
- Why do most people use public transport for traveling purposes?
- Pollution is affecting the ozone layer. How?
- Why should we use disposable diapers?
- Is it important to keep the environment clean?
- Why should female workers have the same salary as male workers?
- Is it unethical to eat meat?
- Explain why children should not watch horror movies.
- Fairy tales are good for kids. Discuss.
- How is parental pressure on children dangerous?
- Why should men not wear pink?
Controversial Persuasive Essay Topics
- Why should gay marriages not be allowed?
- A man is the product of society, not nature. Discuss.
- Why should the American legal system support discrimination against minorities?
- Should sex education be a must for younger teenagers?
- Why is the Internet not safe for young children?
- Should children be allowed to drive?
- Dating in the workplace should not be allowed. Why?
- Should euthanasia be legalized for terminally ill patients?
- Why should children be separated from abusive parents?
- Why should repeat offenders be charged with the death penalty?
Funny Persuasive Essay Topics
- How bad decisions make a person wise?
- Why is adult life more difficult than teenage life?
- Vegetarians do not care much about animals. Analyze the concept.
- Why are fathers a better option to be friends than mothers?
- Never add your parents as friends on social media accounts. Why?
- Explain why men should not be judged for wearing pink.
- How do pets see their owners?
- Discuss the reasons why people hate Monday.
- How can AutoCorrect ruin your life?
- Why are crushes so fun to have?
Sports Persuasive Essay Topics
- Animal sports, including race or fighting, are immoral. Evaluate.
- Bodybuilding is risky for women. Why?
- How do energy drinks impact the performance of athletes?
- Are women better dancers and swimmers as compared to men?
- Athletes are born, not trained. Elaborate on the concept.
- Is practicing sports the best way of relieving stress?
- Men are more prone to injuries during sports events than females. Why?
- Badminton or Tennis? Which one is better?
- Why is swimming so good for you?
- What is the reality of WWE?
You can also checkout Funny Persuasive Speech Topics
Persuasive Essay Topics about Animals
- Why should hunting be banned?
- Is poaching illegal?
- Are microchipping stray and pet animals unethical?
- Should animal testing be banned across the globe?
- Why should beauty goods not be tested on animals?
- How do animals survive extremely cold conditions?
- Why are pets good for kids?
- Why do snakes make great pets?
- Why should we save endangered species?
- Why is pet health care so expensive?
Crime and Law Persuasive Essay Topics
- Why should guns not be allowed on college campuses?
- Every individual has a right to privacy. Discuss.
- Should the death penalty be banned?
- Recreational marijuana should not be legalized. Give reasons.
- How do offenders of domestic violence tend to become terrorists?
- Discuss the causes of police brutality.
- Explain the concepts of policing and social order.
- What are the causes of victimization?
- Discuss parental abduction laws.
- Discuss the history of corporal punishment.
Environment Related Persuasive Essay Topics
- Do human beings cause climate change?
- How does industrialization cause global warming?
- Why should recycling be mandatory?
- What are the pros and cons of alternative fuels?
- Why do we need to protect the rainforest?
- Should plastic bags be banned?
- How do microbes benefit human health?
- How can natural resources be conserved?
- What are the impacts of oil spills on marine life?
- Should palm oil be banned?
Health-Related Persuasive Essay Topics
- Healthcare should be free of cost. Why?
- Why is obesity the major source of increasing death rates?
- Should restaurants display nutrition values on their menu cards?
- How can diabetes affect a person at work?
- Why is too much salt bad for you?
- Why should people care more about sleep?
- What are the effects of drinking too much soda?
- Is toothpaste actually healthy?
- Discuss the effects of diet pills and supplements.
- How do high drug prices affect patients?
Persuasive Essay Topics about Entertainment
The world of movies, books, and music is an engaging place to be. But what’s the best – and worst – of the entertainment world? Some possible essay topics include:
- What’s the best music to listen to when you’re sad?
- Should music and movies be free?
- Are good guys or bad guys more interesting?
- What is the funniest movie you’ve ever seen?
- Are reality shows better than other shows?
- What is the best book ever written?
- Are scary movies enjoyable to watch?
- Are comedies better than action movies?
- What is the best superpower to have?
- Should audience members be able to film live concerts?
- Is it better to see a movie in the theater or stream it at home?
Persuasive Essay Topics on Social Media
- How does social media affect our mental health?
- Social media and television hypnotize people
- How would life without computers look today?
- Internet censorship: is it really necessary?
- How would life be without social media?
- The importance of social media in business
- Radicalization and the use of social media
- How does social media impact businesses?
- What role does social media play in informing the masses?
- Social media has become a massive force in the last decades.
Persuasive Essay Topics on Education
- Should colleges add a psychological test as a part of the admission criteria?
- Should Textbooks be replaced by computer notebooks?
- Is it a good idea to buy books for free?
- Should teachers have to pass basic skills tests every?
- Reasons you should take a gap year before going to university
- Reasons why grades never indicate intelligence
- Why should every school have a gardening program?
- Why should schools have education counselors?
- Business studies should be introduced at the school level. Discuss.
- What makes distance education better than traditional education?
You can also checkout Argumentative business essay topics
Argumentative Persuasive Essay Topics
- Creation and evaluation in public education
- Parenting and its effects on children
- Things you should stop throwing away
- The government should have a say in our diets
- Pros and cons of term limits for congress
- Reasons why marketing to children in unhealthy
- What is the link between sustainability and profits?
- Teachers should use modern technologies in class.
- Why capital punishment is inhuman and unnecessary?
- Bilingual education brings better results.
Persuasive Essay Topics About Mental Health
- Do mental health medications work?
- Are Americans overmedicated?
- Difference between anxiety disorders
- Studying psychology stresses students
- What causes anorexia?
- Types of personality disorders
- How do arts and mental health relate?
- Can a mental disorder justify any crime?
- Pros and cons of clinical trials.
- What is a mental health crisis?
1. What is persuasive essay writing?
Persuasive essay writing is also known as argumentative essay. It is a piece of writing where the writer uses logic and reason to show that your idea or point of view is more valid than another idea. You should support them with facts and logical reasons.
2. How to pick a good subject for persuasive essay?
If you are wondering how to pick a good subject, here are the main criteria that define good persuasive topics: The topic is engaging. A great topic should not only be interesting for your audience, but for you as well. If you find something you are interested in, the writing process will become more pleasant and less stressful to research.
3. What are some examples of persuasive words?
Some examples of these words are: however, therefore, consequently, in fact, on the other hand, instead, thus, and still. If you are truly stuck, why not consider if you can buy persuasive essay online?
4. Why do we need persuasive writing prompts?
This type of writing also helps in acquiring vital life skills such as critical thinking, reasoning, logic, and persuasion. How to Write a Persuasive Essay? Here are some key persuasive writing prompts to keep in mind while working on such tasks: