All health care organizations THAT PROVIDE DIRECT PATIENT CARE must be aware of cost controls, regardless of nonprofit or for-profit status. Managing costs at all levels of the organization affects the bottom line, which has a direct effect on all aspects of the organization. This assignment is designed to help you analyze why organizational policies are put in place.
Find a facility-specific policy at a health care organization (St. Francis Medical Center-Richmond, VA) THAT PROVIDES DIRECT PATIENT CARE related to cost controls.
Summarize the details of the organizational policy:
- When was the policy put in place?
- Was it adopted system-wide, in one department, or multiple departments?
- What does the policy address?
- What are potential ramifications of not following the policy at the organizational level? Unit level? Individual level?
Explain how the policy impacts fiscal aspects of the organization:
- How does the policy act as a cost control?
Describe how the policy impacts the quality of patient care:
- Does the policy improve efficiency?
- Are the goals to improve care and reduce cost?
Explore the unintended consequences:
- What secondary affects does the policy have on the organization? Unit? Staff? Patient?
- Does the policy need revision?
Suggest alternatives to the policy:
- In your opinion, is the policy the best way to address the issue? Support your position by explaining why or why not.