I need support with this History question so I can learn better.
Unit 7 Writing Assignment:
Use several of the linked sources to examine non-textual sources to learn about the precolonial history of the Kongo. Then, write a 3-4 paged essay ( 750+words) organized around a central thesis to explain what the artifacts, art and architecture tell you about Kongolese society. You might address: spiritual beliefs, gender relations, social hierarchies, relationships between Africa states or between the Kongo and Europeans, trade and the availability of materials, craftsmanship, artistic conventions, and similar topics of historical interest.
The objective is for you to describe how you are drawing conclusions from the items linked below, not for you to do “research” on the topic.
Cecile Fromont wrote a well-received monograph on how the Kongolese used the Cross motif and other Christian symbols. Feel free to review her work if you are going to examine the crucifixes. There is also a very useful essay on Kongolese ivories by Nichole Bridges. However, please refrain from using other outside sources.
***Be sure to cite all sources (including the artifact information) that you use in both internal citations and a bibliography.***
Choose from the following items:
- crucifix 1, crucifix 2, and triple crucifix
- power figure 1, power figure 2, and power figure 3
- staff (click on image for more information)
- funerary figure (click on image for more information)
- trumpet 1 and trumpet 2 (click on images for more information)
- female figure and child
- iron sword
- ivory tusk
- Cathedral of the Holy Savior
- 17th century map
- Your completed assignment should be 3-4 pages in length (750+ words)
- You must write in complete sentences and paragraphs. Bullet points or lists will not be accepted.
- Please cite your sources internally using parenthetical citations or footnotes, and include a complete bibliography at the end of your paper. You should be citing the linked sources.
- Formatting is MLA
- Be original – All papers submitted in this class are reviewed via Turnitin.com, a proprietary software database that identifies unoriginal material in papers. Please review the syllabus statement regarding the penalty for plagiarism.
- Submit your citations and bibliography within your paper Everything should be saved and submitted in one document