I’m trying to learn for my English class and I’m stuck. Can you help?
Clinical Field Experience B: Augmentative and Alternative Communication Systems
Speech therapists are an important related service provider for students with language impairments to help support their expressive and receptive communication needs. Speech therapists frequently consult with general education teachers and special education teachers to provide training on the correct integration of augmentative and alternative communication systems and other types of assistive technology to help students meet their speech goals.
Allocate at least 5 hours in the field to support this field experience.
Collaborate with a certified K‐5 classroom teacher to observe and communicate with a certified K‐5 speech therapist about AAC and other AT systems and appropriate interventions.
Examine the following through your collaboration and observations:
- Recommended AAC and AT systems
- Recommended high tech and low‐tech assistive technology to facilitate students’ communication and learning
- The connection between listening, reading comprehension skills, semantics, and syntax
- Implementing AAC to facilitate engagement in learning
- Collaborative roles when working with special education and general education teachers
Use any remaining field experience hours to assist the mentor teacher or speech therapist in providing support to students.
In 250‐500 words, summarize and reflect upon your observations and collaboration. Explain how you will use your findings in your future professional practice.