I’m studying and need help with a Writing question to help me learn.
Self-awareness and self-reflection are critical for developing the ability to engage with clients in any setting, including family and group interactions. In this activity, you will reflect on your ability to engage and assess families and groups. You will also identify opportunities to improve your communication for the betterment of the provider-client relationship. You will also have the chance to ask questions and express concerns about the engagement and assessment skills and strategies described in the assigned readings.
Upon successful completion of this assignment, you will be able to:
- Develop self-reflection and self-regulation to effectively manage the intersection of personal and professional values. (PO 1)
- Textbook: Social Work with Groups: Comprehensive Practice and Self-Care
- File: My Engagement and Assessment Skills with Families and Groups.pdf
How do social workers determine if they are practicing effectively? One method is to engage in professional and personal self-assessment throughout their careers. A social worker can reflect on skills, abilities, and work with clients, and write about these strengths and growth opportunities. The National Association of Social Work advises all social workers to engage in career-long professional development, and this type of self-reflection is one way to do so.
- Review the rubric to make sure you understand the criteria for earning your grade.
- In your textbook, Social Work with Groups: Comprehensive Practice and Self-Care, read Chapter 1 “Groups: Types and Stages of Development.”
- Reflect on your engagement and assessment skills and opportunities for growth in your future practice. Complete the self-assessment worksheet My Engagement and Assessment Skills with Families and Groups.pdf.