Discussion Board Question #2 Obtaining DEA Licensure Independent Practice by Nurse Practitioners
READ THE BELOW ARTICLES then answer the questions below and respond to a minimum of two of
your classmates ‘post.
2. https://fnpn.enpnetwork.com/nursepractitionernews/133651dealicensure informationforflorida
3. https://www.floridahealth.gov/licensingandregulation/counterfeitproofprescription padvendors/faq.html
5. https://floridasnursing.gov/helpcenter/whatistheprocessforacquiringadea registrationnumberfromthedrugenforcementadministrationdea/
6. https://floridasnursing.gov/latestnews/updateregisterasacontrolledsubstance prescriber/
1.What is HB 423 (House Bill 423). Describe how it changed the prescribing privileges in Florida for
NP’s and PA’s. Does it grant different privileges to different nurse practitioners? Please explain.
2.What is required in order to obtain a DEA license? Explain the process.
3.How does this law impact the way that the NP may be able to deliver care?
4.As you read through Florida Statute 893 regarding “DRUG ABUSE PREVENTION AND CONTROL” as
well as the Florida DOH website (https://www.floridahealth.gov/licensingand regulation/counterfeitproofprescriptionpadvendors/faq.html)
name 5 items that you found to be most important to the
role of prescribing controlled substances.
5. Currently, the NP has the ability to prescribe medications such as benzodiazepines for conditions
such as panic disorders and opiates for pain control. There are a hand full of states which has
granted prescribing privileges to NP’s for marijuana as well. How do you feel about the nurse
practitioner having the ability to prescribe medical marijuana?
6. What is the purpose of registering as a “Controlled Substance Provider with the Florida Department
of Health? Is this necessary for every practitioner?