The purpose of this assessment task is to allow you to demonstrate your knowledge and
understanding of key principles underpinning culturally and ethnicallyinformed practice, and
identify how such practices might improve current engagement with, and responses to, First Nations
people within the Criminal Justice System.
A written essay
This task requires you to research information on Terry Cross’ (1989) cultural competency model.
Drawing on literature in the field you are required to:
1) Describe the key components of this model
(2) show how its application might help to improve current responses to offenders identifying as First
Nations people and
(3) reflect on your own plan to build cultural competency into your professional development
You will be assessed on your ability to draw on the literature and:
• Describe the main components underpinning the Cross (1989) model of cultural competency;
• Apply these principles to inform best practice for working with First Nations people; and
• Reflect on your own level of cultural competency, and propose ways to continue improving your
competency in this regard.
You will also be required to demonstrate standard referencing skills using the reading material