Research Paper Requirements
– Please read the guidelines in their entirety to avoid getting points taken off your paper.
Each student will be required to write a three page research paper (not including a title page, abstract page, and reference page) that describes a psychological disorder from a bio-psychosocial perspective. Students will be required to describe the disorder in terms of symptoms, describe biological, psychological, and social causes of the disorder and include information about treatment.
– Students will select ONE psychological disorder from the list below to write their research paper about:
Generalised anxiety disorder, panic disorder, phobias, obsessive-compulsive disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, substance dependence, major depressive disorder, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, anorexia, bulimia
– Symptoms may be described in terms of emotional symptoms, cognitive symptoms, behavioural symptoms, somatic symptoms, and impairment in social and occupational functioning.
– Biological explanations may include the following: Brain structure and function, genetics, hormones, evolution/natural selection, neurotransmitters (oversupply, under supply, dysfunction)
– Psychological explanations may include the following: Learning, memory, personality traits, cognition (thought patterns), trauma/stress, emotion/mood
– Sociocultural explanations may include the following: Gender roles, socioeconomic status, locations (city or rural), school/education, cultural values, poverty
– Treatment may include medications, cognitive therapy, behavioural therapy, group therapy, client centred therapy
The research paper must be formatted with a title page with running head on all pages, abstract page, and reference page with APA formatted references and in-text citations.
All information from a source must be cited. If it is taken word for word it must be cited and in quotes. If it is not cited in text and on the reference page and in quotes then it is considered plagiarism and will result in a minimum of a zero for the assignment
While personal knowledge/experience may have lead you to select this specific disorder, please do not include personal stories or experiences. This paper should not contain first person at any point within it.
Please review the Purdue OWL APIA formatting website for help with APIA: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/01/
You will also need the above website in order to complete Thinking Assignment 2.
Because you are not conducting an experiment, you may leave out the subsections found in an APIA paper such as a methods, procedure, discussion, etc section. Please review the content below as there is very important information discussed.
Research Paper Requirements