Module 5 – Case
BARRIERS TO QUALITY AND CHANGING THE QUALITY PARADIGM IN LONG TERM CARE
Webster’s defines a paradigm shift as “an important change that happens when the usual way of thinking about or doing something is replaced by a new and different way.”
After surveying the background readings, please prepare a 4-5 page paper in which you address the following:
• Is a paradigm change truly what is needed to address the ongoing care issues in long term care? (Justify your answer).
• If a paradigm shift is needed, which paradigm should be considered and why?
• If a paradigm shift is not needed, please indicate how existing structures could/should be maximized to achieve quality long term care services.
1. Your references and citations should be consistent with a particular formatting style, such as APA.
• Your response should be based on reliable and scholarly material, such as peer-reviewed articles, white papers, technical papers, etc… Do not include information from non-scholarly materials such as Wikis, encyclopedias, www.freearticles.com (or similar websites).
• Your response should incorporate the objectives of the module with the requirements of this assignment.
In providing guidance for this posting think that a paradigm change is truly what is needed to address the ongoing care issues in long-term care, largely due to the fact that there is a detrimental inverse relationship between the increasing lifespans of individuals, and the amount of health coverage and/or savings that these individuals have. This essentially means that the Medicare, Medicaid, and the financial savings of individuals is not sufficient to cover the increasingly long time care expenses that are incurred due to the increased longevity of most individuals. Therefore, the long-term care paradigm must be adapted or changed entirely, in order to be able to address this very important issue.
A paradigm that should be considered in this situation would include changing the way that each of the important components or issues involved with providing long-term care are addressed and managed. One of the first things that should be changed is the ratio of the amount of …