Critical thinking and clinical reasoning skills are used every day in practice by Registered Nurses. The aim of this essay task is for you to apply the eight stages of the clinical reasoning cycle (Levett-Jones, 2012) to discuss and reflect on a clinical decision. Familiarisation with the clinical reasoning cycle will support you to provide safe quality care as a Registered Nurse.
Write a 2000 word essay which discusses one clinical decision, that you have been involved with during a Bachelor of Nursing clinical placement, using all eight stages of the clinical reasoning cycle (Levett-Jones, 2012). In this essay your critical reflection on the clinical decision (stage eight) is a significant component of this task (please see weighting in marking criteria). You need to identify a different patient scenario to the one you discussed in your first essay.
Analyse how each stage of the clinical reasoning cycle (Levett-Jones, 2012) was applied to your decision.
In stage 8 critically reflect on what you have learnt from applying the clinical reasoning cycle to your chosen decision (you may choose to draw on other models of reflection).
In your essay discuss three relevant Registered Nurse Standards for Practice (2016).
- Ensure that you use at least ten (10) scholarly literature (digitised readings, research articles, relevant Government reports and text books) that has been published within the last 5 years.
Ensure you maintain confidentiality. Do not discuss the facility, nurse or patient by name. You may use a pseudonym if you like.
- Provide a clear introduction and conclusion to your paper.
- You may use headings to organise your work if you wish.
- The use of first person can be utilised through your writing.
- Refer to the marking guide when writing your assignment. This will assist you in calculating the weightings of the sections for your assignment.